SAFETY4SEA is pleased to announce for the second year the distinguished shortlisted nominees for the 2017 SAFETY4SEA Awards, following the successful inaugural awards in 2016.
The online voting process has started for this year’s awards which aim to reward any organization that demonstrated outstanding performance within the scope of fostering Safety Excellence & Sustainable Shipping. An open nomination process was initiated earlier this year to industry stakeholders who proposed nominations online. The awards presentation will take place at a special ceremony on the night before the 2017 SAFETY4SEA Conference.
Nominations shortlisted for the 2017 SAFETY4SEA Awards include the following organisations per category:
SAFETY4SEA Dry Bulk Operator Award
- Atlantic Bulk Carriers Management has been nominated for having a powerful fleet which exceeds the requirements of the IACS CSRs and features many improvements in design to improve fuel economy, address crew requirements and contribute to increased ship safety.
- Clipper Group has been nominated for striving to make a positive impact to industry by setting as a priority that its business activities are based on sustainable and ethical principles and for supporting many CSR efforts as an active member of Danish Shipping CSR Committee.
- Pacific Carriers has been nominated for putting its people at the core of its operations by committing to training and holding seminars to update crew in relation to activities required in performing safe operations and emergency preparedness.
- Thome Group has been nominated for representing a unique combination of the best elements of Scandinavian shipping traditions of Asian business enterprise, with a focus on high standards of health and safety and crew retention and development.
SAFETY4SEA Tanker Operator Award
- Arcadia Ship Management has been nominated for establishing an effective risk assessment system for hazard identification, risk management and control to confirm compliance of the HSQEMS to policies and requirements that are in force.
- Besiktas Shipping Group has been nominated for its presence in shipping with zero tolerance culture for safety excellence, focusing on prevention of accidental risks and losses due to process failure and putting continuous improvement at its core of its operations.
- Emarat Maritime LCC has been nominated for being well known as an operator of a young fleet of modern, well maintained and efficient vessels where crew welfare, safety awareness and environmental conscientiousness are the foundations of the company culture.
- Scorpio Tankers Inc. has been nominated for actively adopting clear corporate governance based on NYSE required practices as well as CSR policies that promote the health and safety of its people and reduce the impact of its operations on the environment.
- Wallem Ship Management has been nominated for its ‘Wallem Engagement Programme’ which is designed to proactively enhance engagement among both seafarers and staff shore and to empower them with ownership over their own safety.
SAFETY4SEA Sustainability Award
- ISWAN has been nominated for actively supporting seafarers and their families via its ‘SeafarerHelp’ service which is free and available through a range of media for contact in the event of any problem arises onboard such as health, repatriation and contract issues.
- Sea Health has been nominated for compiling a comprehensive medical guide to seafarers, authorized by the Danish Maritime Authority and accompanied by instruction films to provide information on ordinary and serious illnesses, symptoms and treatment
- UK Chamber of Shipping has been nominated for its commitment to young people and their career prospects in shipping by launching ‘Careers at Sea’ campaign and promoting Ambassadors’ visits to schools to help shift people’s perception of what makes a seafarer.
- WISTA has been nominated for creating a dynamic global network supporting women at management level in the maritime industry with the aim to highlight the important role that women play in the industry and encourage their participation and engagement.
SAFETY4SEA Training Award
- Damage Control School by Hellenic Navy has been nominated for providing training courses enriched with lessons learned from real cases and exhaustive safety audits from the Fleet Command that offer positive feedback to DC techniques and procedures.
- JWC International Ltd has been nominated for developing the first internationally approved Maritime Cyber Awareness Course (by GCHQ) which is designed in a non-technical manner in order not to confuse seafarers but provide an easy digest overview of best practice cyber hygiene.
- MAN Diesel & Turbo has been nominated for its PrimeServ Academies, a global network of training centers and courses with the aim to provide outstanding knowledge transfer among customers, suppliers, and research and development teams.
- RINA Academy Philippines has been nominated for offering quality training introducing a new system called Competence Management System to continuously assess and train seafarers, shore-based personnel and staff through Career Development Plan.
- VSTEP has been nominated for offering to civilian and military industry virtual training with innovative simulation technology via its NAUTIS solution which includes a complete range of simulators, from desktop trainer to full mission bridge.
SAFETY4SEA Technology Award
- ClassNK has been nominated for its PrimeShip-HULL ship design software that is fully compliant with the IACS harmonized CSR, including FEM analysis for cargo hold structures, as well as formula for buckling, fatigue, and residual strength criteria to enhance safety.
- Marine Armor System has been nominated for providing a unique protection system against pirate attacks which fits to all sort doorways, corridors and windows, blocking the access to neuralgic areas of the vessel, without interfering with the normal operation of the vessel.
- Marine Traffic has been nominated for supporting Equasis project with high quality position data by tracking ships’ AIS through a network of terrestrial receivers and satellites, enabling also Equasis users to have access to vessel pictures provided by an extensive vessel photo database.
- Marlink has been nominated for its XChange Telemed which is a new telemedicine service designed to improve the health and safety of crew/passengers, while meeting new MLC and STCW regulations for health and medical treatment onboard.
- Q88 LCC has been nominated for its Q88VMS Voyage Management System which is a web-based platform for managing all voyage related information in a single workspace supporting chartering, fixture creation and voyage operations.
SAFETY4SEA Initiative Award
- The Alert! Project by The Nautical Institute has been nominated for including a valuable resource of professional maritime articles and bulletins with a focus on fatigue, ergonomics and training, health to improve awareness of the human element in the maritime industry.
- Allianz Global Corporate & Specialty (AGCS) has been nominated for launching ‘Safety and Shipping Review’ report which focuses on key developments in maritime safety and analyzes shipping losses annually providing an overview of industry’s performance and trends.
- CHIRP has been nominated for its initiative to promote safety awareness amongst seafarers via its ‘video series of maritime feedback bulletins’ which are being released on a quarterly basis and available to download for use on a PC or tablet, DVD or USB drive.
- Propel has been nominated for offering training based on 3D interactive models which are built on the concept of gamification with the aim to create valuable training scenarios with the added element of motivational competition, achievement, recognition and learning analysis.
- Steamship Insurance Management Services Ltd. has been nominated for its ”Fit for Life” loss prevention DVD which addresses crew health issues and highlights the importance of fitness for crew, encouraging them to take proactive steps in their lifestyle to minimize health risks.
SAFETY4SEA Personality & Life Achievement Awards
After consideration and review of a list of “Editor’s Pick” nominees, the SAFETY4SEA Team will announce the winners on the night of the awards presentation. These are special category awards for any individual person that provided industry leadership and contributed towards safer shipping and to any individual person that has provided industry leadership and contributed towards safer shipping throughout his/her career, correspondingly.
The online voting process has started at https://www.safety4sea.com/2017-safety4sea-awards/ where participants can submit their votes online up to Friday the 8th of September 2017. The winners will be the ones received the most online votes and the results will be announced during a prestigious award ceremony on the night before the 2017 SAFETY4SEA Conference, on Tuesday night 3rd of October, at Yacht Club of Greece, Piraeus. The 2017 SAFETY4SEA Conference will take place on Wednesday 4th of October at Eugenides Foundation in Athens. Full details of the event available at https://www.safety4sea.com/forum/2017-safety4sea-forum/