New Module On Compliance With The US Environmental Protection Agency's VGP Requirement for US
The American P&I Club issues circular regarding NewModule On Compliance With The US Environmental Protection Agency S VGP Requirement for US as follows:
Your Managers are pleased to report the release of a new e-learning module, entitled Vessel General Permit, to assist Members in complying with the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Vessel General Permit (VGP) environmental discharge requirements for vessels trading to the United States.
The 2008 VGP concerns discharges which are incidental to the normal operation of vessels engaged in transportation. The VGP includes general effluent limits applicable to all discharges; general effluent limits applicable to 26 specific discharge streams; narrative water-quality based effluent limits;inspection, monitoring, recordkeeping, and reporting requirements; and additional requirements applicable to certain vessel types.
The current requirements of the 2008 VGP are valid through December 18, 2013. All owner-Members of the American Club have access to all the Club's e-learning training programs via the website https://secure.idessonline.com/americanclub/facility/, free of charge. Members who have not registered are encouraged to do so at the earliest opportunity to take advantage of all
the e-learning tools available.
Other modules currently available to Members are:
- Stranger on the Bridge - 3 case studies on bridge resource management with the pilot onboard;
- Clean Seas: Complying with MARPOL 73/78 - modules available on Annexes I (oil pollution), IV(sewage) and V (garbage); and
- The Case of the Silent Assassin - case study training on the dangers associated with entry into enclosed shipboard spaces.
For Club Members to access the VGP, please take note of the following:
A) For Members who were earlier issued with this link:
1. Select the "Vessel General Permit" from the list of the programs.
2. Login to "Administration/Training Records" as Super Administrator.
3. Click the "CHANGE REQUEST" tab.
4. Search for the User that you wish to enroll in the "Vessel General Permit" module.
5. Click the "Enroll" link.
6. Tick "Vessel General Permit" from the list of modules.
7. Click the "UPDATE" button.
B) For newly registered Club Members in this link:
(This is the site with the interface to the Plug and Play option)
1. Login as Super Administrator.
2. Search for the name of the User that you wish to enroll in the "Vessel General Permit" module.
3. Click the [ENROLLMENT] link.
4. Tick "Vessel General Permit" from the list of modules.
5. Click the "UPDATE ENROLLMENT" button.
Source: The American P&I Club