SMART4SEA Conference & Awards

31 Jan 2017
Learn More
SMART4SEA Conference & Awards

31 Jan 2017
Learn More

Export rally keeps going at Port of Oakland

port of oakland

The Port of Oakland has said that containerized export volume has increased 11.5 percent in November from the same period last year while it was the third straight month of double digit growth and the 10th time exports have risen this year as well.

The Port said exports are surging despite a strengthening dollar that makes American products more expensive overseas.  Strong Asian demand for California farm products, wine and other beverages is spurring the rally, the Port said.

“If you listen to conventional wisdom, exports should be facing headwinds,” said Maritime Director John Driscoll.  “But the clamor overseas for high-quality American commodities hasn’t peaked, so our volumes keep climbing.”

The Port said it shipped the equivalent of 85,915 20-foot export containers last month.  That was the second-highest total of 2016. Through 11 months of this year Oakland export volume is up 10.3 percent.  Moreover, containerized imports are up 4.5 percent. Total loaded container volume has increased 7.4 percent.

The Port further said that exports have accounted for 52 percent of its loaded cargo volume in 2016.  Imports account for the other 48 percent.

Source: Port of Oakland

Related Posts


Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterGoogle+0Share on LinkedIn1

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

Explore Our Group Sites:

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this. By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this. By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies.more information

Close